At Sun Lakes Animal Clinic we recommend the following vaccinations and preventive health items for our young canine patients:
(2) Rabies vaccination
(3) Bordetella vaccination (kennel cough) for all boarding dogs.
For puppies we recommend the following protocol:
(l) 6 weeks of age - initial DHPPC vaccination and stool sample analysis.
(2) 9 weeks of age - 1st DHPPC booster
(3) 12 weeks of age - 2nd DHPPC booster and begin Heartworm preventive
(4) 15 weeks of age - 3rd DHPPC booster
(5) 18 weeks of age - 4th DHPPC booster and initial Rabies vaccination
(6) 6 months of age - spay or neuter
(7) 1 year old - annual DHPPC booster & Rabies booster.
The DHPPC vaccination is boostered annually and the Rabies vaccination is boostered every 3rd year thereafter. We also have the Bordetella (kennel cough) vaccine available upon request and recommend it for dogs who will he boarding and other situations where they will be around unfamiliar dogs. Here in the Sonoran desert we also have the Lyme disease vaccine available upon request but do not routinely recommend it for dogs in our area since we have not detected cases of Lyme disease here. In most other parts of the country the vet may routinely give the Lyme vaccination.
NOTE: Arizona state law requires initial Rabies vaccination as a puppy with a booster one year later and then every 3rd year thereafter.