Preventive Health Care
About Preventive Health Care...
Preventive Health Care is the routine medical care your cat receives periodically in order to help prevent health problems from developing. At Sun Lakes Animal Clinic we believe preventive health care is a very important part of your cat's total well being.
Briefly, What Items Are Included In Preventive Health Care For The Adult Cat?
We emphasize the following four areas:
l. Feline Distemper 3-Way Vaccination (yearly)
2. Feline Leukemia Vaccination (yearly)
3. Rabies Vaccination (yearly)
4. Dental Cleaning (as needed, usually once-a-year)
5. Fecal (Stool Sample) Analysis (yearly)
Briefly, Describe Each Part Of The Preventive Health Care Program:
1. Feline Distemper 3-way Vaccination. This vaccination guards against Panleukopenia (commonly called Feline Distemper), Calici virus, and Rhinotracheitis virus (the two most common upper respiratory viruses of cats).
3. Rabies Vaccination. This vaccination guards against Rabies which is being seen more frequently in cats than dogs now.
4. Dental Cleaning. Teeth cleaning, polishing, and fluoride treatment should be performed as needed with most cats requiring this once-a-year. The need for dental care varies from cat to cat with some cats never needing dental care and some others needing it as often as every 3-4 months. It's a good idea to have your vet look at your cat's mouth to determine if dental care is needed. Also, routine brushing at home is greatly encouraged along with feeding dry cat food.
5. Fecal (stool sample) Analysis. This is a routine microscopic examination of your cat’s stool to check for internal parasites.
Of course there are many other threats to the cat's (such as Feline Immunodeficiency Virus, Feline Infectious Peritonitis, accidental. injury, etc) but these (listed above) are the main problems we can protect and vaccinate against.